Home Page
Visitor No: 13869813


Print Version  
Last Updated On: 06/02/2014  

Pension Matters of Government Employees

Group Insurance Scheme(GIS)

Sanction of HBA from Government

CAG Reports

Adhoc Committee on Audit


Questions Relating to Group Insurance Scheme GIS

Q 1.   What is Group Insurance Scheme?
Ans.  Group Insurance Scheme means the  H.P. Govt. Employees Scheme, 1984.

Q 2.   What is Insurance Fund  ?
Ans. Insurance Fund means Insurance Fund under the H.P.Govt.Group Insurance Scheme, 1984.

Q 3.    Who are the members of the Scheme  ?
Ans.   An employee enrolled in Govt. service is a member of  H.P. Govt. Group  
Employees Insurance Scheme,1984. This scheme is compulsory for all those employees who enter the Govt. service after Ist  August, 1984.

Q 4.     What is Saving Fund ?
Ans.   Saving Fund means the Saving Fund under the H.P.Employees Group Insurance Scheme, 1984.

Q 5.   What is the objective of the G.I.S. ?
Ans.  The scheme is intended to provide low cost social security on a contributory and self financing basis with the twin benefits of  insurance cover and a lumpsum payment alongwith interest to augment an employee’s income sources.

Q 6.   What is the subscription for member ?
Ans.  The subscription for the Scheme is in unit of Rs.15/- per month. A Class IV employee subscribes for one unit, Class III employee for two units, a Class-II employee for four units and Class-I employee for eight    
units. Thus, the present  rates of subscription for a member of the Scheme shall be Rs.15/-, Rs.30/-, Rs.60/- and  Rs.120/-  per  month  for Class-IV,Class-III, Class-II and Class-I employees respectively.

Q 7.  What is the mode of payment from Insurance Fund/Saving Fund ?
Ans. Saving Fund:- In case of any member retiring on attaining the age of superannuation or who otherwise ceases to be in H.P.Govt. service, the Head of office  issues a sanction for the payment of the member’s accumulation in his saving fund, after obtaining a simple application.
Insurance Fund:-  If  any  member dies while in service , the Head of office asks to the nominee (s)/heirs (s) of deceased, to submit an application on the prescribed form and on receipt of the application form the Head of office is requested to issue a sanction for the payment of the amount of Insurance and the  accumulation in the saving fund along with interest.

Q 8.   What is mode of subscription ?
Ans.  The subscription is deducted from the salary of the member.

Q 9.     What is Insurance Fund and Insurance cover for member ?
Ans.  In order to provide an  insurance  cover to each member  of the ‘Scheme’ a portion of  subscription shall be credited to an Insurance Fund to be held in the Public Account of the State Govt. The amount of insurance cover  shall be Rs.15,000/- for each unit of subscription. It will be paid to the nominee(s) of the member of the ‘Scheme’ who unfortunately die, due to any cause, while in service before attaining the age of superannuation.


Questions relating to sanction of House Building Advance (HBA)

Q 1.    How  is  HBA  is calculated/sanctioned in respect of Officers/Officials of H.P.Govt.
Ans.   i)  For fresh HBA cases,  34 months Basic Pay + Dearness pay is taken into account.
ii) The maximum limit for HBA is Rs.7.50 lacs.
iii) For House Repair Advance, 20 months Basic Pay is taken into account.
iv)The maximum limit for House Repair Advance is Rs.1.80 lac.
v) The HBA is released in two equal installments.

Q 2 .   What documents are required for fresh HBA case ?
Ans.   The following documents are required for fresh HBA case:-
i) Latest and fresh Jamabandi and Tatima.
ii) Non-encumbrance certificate issued  by Patwari and counter signed by  the concerned Tehsildar.
iii) The applicant should have clear title on the land on which he is seeking HBA and in case of  joint property, then NOC from co-sharer in the  shape of Affidavits is required.

Q 3 .    Documents and eligibility criteria for house repair cases ?
Ans.     Five years after the release of second and final installment in favour of employee. Fresh application and latest Jamabandi and Tatima are required at the time of submission of house repair case. 

Q 4 .   What is the recovery schedule for the HBA and for House Repair Advance ?
Ans.   i)  The  HBA is  recovered in maximum 144 equal installments and interest thereon in five years. In case the applicant is having less service,  then  the DDO will fix the installments in such a manner so that the whole amount of HBA is recovered within the service period and only interest will be recovered from the D.C.R.G,  that too in lumpsum.
ii) The recovery of House Repair Advance is effected in 96 equal installments or  the  installments  are  fixed  in such  a  manner  that  the whole advance is recovered before the retirement of the officer/official.

Q 5 .  What are the present interest rates on HBA ?
Ans.              Amount                                             Rate of Interest.

               Up to Rs.50,000/-                                         7.5 %
               Up to Rs.1,50,000/-                                       9 %
               Up to Rs. 5,00,000/-                                     11 %
               Up to Rs. 7.50 lacs                                       12 %

Q 6 .   What is the minimum length of service required for HBA ?
Ans.   Minimum five years service for permanent Govt. servant is required for HBA. In the case of temporary  Govt. servant, two surety bonds from permanent employees are  required.

Q 7 .  What happens in the case of  employees  where both husband and wife are  in Govt. Service ?
Ans.   The HBA is sanctioned to only one of them.

Questions relating to CAG Reports (Comptroller and Auditor General )

Q 1 .  What are CAG reports ?
Ans.  CAG reports are prepared by Comtroller and auditor General of India on under Article 151 of the Constitution on every year.

Q 2 .  What are the different CAG reports ?
Ans.  Comptroller and Auditor General of India’s reports are of  five kinds. These are  Finance Accounts, Appropriation Account, CAG Report (Civil), CAG Report on Revenue Receipts and CAG Report on Commercial Under takings.

Q 3 .  What is the Web Site of CAG of India for Audit Reports ?

Q 4 .   What are Suo-Motu  replies ?
Ans.   Every department is required to send replies on paras of CAG of India’s reports (Civil & Revenue Receipts) within three months to   H. P.Vidhan
Sabha from the time  when these reports are laid on  the table of  H.P.Vidhan Sabha. These replies are called Suo-Motu replies.

Q 5 .   What is Public Accounts Committee ?
Ans.   Public Accounts Committee is constituted by the Hon’ble Speaker from amongst the members of Legislative Assembly. For its constitution please see 

Questions relating to Adhoc Committee on Audit

Q 1 .  How the adhoc committee is constituted ?
Ans.  The adhoc committee is constituted by each department as per the time schedule/calendar given by the Finance Department, which consists of the
following :
1.     Secretary/Special Secy/Addl. Secy./Joint Secy./Dy.Secy./Under Secy./of the department concerned.        Chairman 
2.     Deputy Secy./Under Secy.(Finance Budget)                                                                                       Nodal Officer.
3.     Head of Department.                                                                                                                       Member.
4.     Sr.Accounts Officer of AGHP,Shimla.                                                                                                  Member.

Q 2 .      What is the objective of Adhoc Committee ?
Ans.   Adhoc Committee is constituted in each department to settle the old outstanding Audit Paras and Inspection Reports pending in the departments  in the meetings scheduled to every year. Most of these paras relate to recovery of excess payment, losses to State Governments etc. 


Question relating to Pension Matters of Government Employees

Q 1. To whom Central Civil Services (Pension) Rules, 1972 are applicable?
Ans. The C.C.S.( Pension) Rules ,1972 are applicable in Himachal Pradesh  to the Government servants who are appointed on or before 14.5.2003. These Rules are not applicable to new appointees of Himachal Pradesh Government appointed on or after 15.5.2003.

Q 2. Under what rules pension/gratuity /family pension of an employee is regulated on a particular day?
Ans. A claim for pension/gratuity/family pension is regulated on the basis of rules in force on the date on which the employee ceases to be in service due to retirement or death.

Q 3. Whether the day of death/retirement is treated as working?
Ans. Yes. The day of death of a Government servant including retirement in all cases, except on voluntary/premature retirement is treated as working day.

Q 4. Whether a Government can get two pensions in the same service?
Ans. A Government servant is not eligible for two pensions in the same service or post at the same time or by the same continuous service. A pensioner receiving superannuation or retiring Pension, re-employed subsequently, is not eligible for a separate pension and gratuity for the period of his re-employment.

Q 5. Option to count military service for pensionary benefits?
Ans. Ex-serviceman desiring to take advantage of the retirement benefits based on combined military and civil services should exercise option within one year from the date of his re-employment.

Q 6. Which is the competent authority to count military service along with civil service for the purpose of pensionary benefits?
Ans. Administrative Department of the concerned department.

Q 7. To what extent a government servant is entitled to commute pension for lump sum payment?
Ans. A Government servant is entitled to commute for a lump sum payment, an amount not exceeding forty percent of his pension.

Q 8. Whether commutation of pension could be allowed to a Government servant or a pensioner against whom departmental or judicial proceedings are pending.
Ans. A Government servant/ pensioner against whom departmental proceedings are pending is not eligible to commute a certain percentage of his pension.

Q 9. Whether applicant (Government servant/pensioner) is required to make a nomination in the prescribed form along with his application for commutation?
Ans. The applicant should make a nomination in the prescribed form along with his application for commutation.

Q 10. When pension papers are required to be completed in respect of a retiring Government servant?
Ans. The Head of office should complete Part I of Form 7 (not later than six months of the date of retirement of the Government servant )
and forward the same to the Accounts Officer (A.G.H.P.) along with service book of Government servant duly completed..

Q 11. What is the Contributory Pension System (CPS) for employees recruited on or after 15.5.2003?
Ans. The Contributory Pension Scheme has been introduced by the H.P.State Government for its new appointees appointed on or after 15.5.2003. Under the new pension system, each new state government employee is allotted a unique 16 digit Permanent Pension Account Number by the Accountant General Himachal Pradesh on receipt of application from the Head of Departments/Head of office in prescribed form. It shall be mandatory for all the new employees to become members of the scheme. Each employee shall be required to pay a monthly contribution equal to 10% of Basic pay, plus Dearness Pay (w.e.f 1.4.2004) plus Interim Relief (w.e.f. 1.11.2006 & 1.10.2008), and Dearness Allowance sanctioned by the  Govt. from time to time and Non Practicing Allowance, every month. A matching contribution equal to employee contribution is made by the State Government every month for each employee who contributes to the scheme.

Q 12. When was the Contributory Pension Scheme introduced?
Ans. The CPS was introduced with effect from 15.5.2003 vide Notification No. Fin (Pen) A (3)-1/96 dated 17th August, 2006.

Q 13. Who is covered by the Contributory Pension Scheme?
Ans. One is covered by the Contributory Pension Scheme if he or she
joined State government service on or after 15.5.2003, on  regular basis and if he /she is an employee of H.P.State Government.

Q 14. Who is not covered by the Contributory Pension Scheme?
Ans. An employee is not covered by the Contributory Pension Scheme if
1. He/she is already covered by the Employees Provident Fund and Miscellaneous provisions Act, 1952 and any other special Acts governing these funds, or
2.  He/she joined H.P.State Government service before 15.5.2003, on regular basis or
3.  He/she is employed in a Department or on a post under which he is not eligible to receive a pension as per terms of his/ her employment.

Q 15. If I joined State Government service on or after 15.5.2003 do I have an option of not being covered by the Contributory Pension Scheme?
Ans. No. The Contributory Pension Scheme is mandatory.

Q 16. I am covered by the Contributory Pension Rules. Do the old Pension Rules apply to me?
Ans. No. The Central Civil Service Pension Rules (1972) do not apply to you. You are covered only by the Contributory Pension Scheme Rules.

Q 17. I am covered by the Contributory Pension Scheme. Can I contribute to the GPF?
Ans. No. The General Provident Fund (Central Service) Rules, 1960 do not apply to you.

Q 18. What interest is payable on my contributions to Contributory Pension Scheme?
Ans. Presently 8% interest is payable.

Note: For further details of Contributory Pension Scheme, please see the website of Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority www.pfrda.org.in. The different notifications/memos./circulars pertaining to Employees Pension cases/ Pension rules may be seen under the Pension link of Finance Department website.
The FAQs are meant to be simple a form of explaining the Rules position. Actual notifications/instructions and Rules may be seen to understand the correct legal interpretation of the Pension rules and instruction issued from time to time.


Accessibility Options  | Disclaimer  | Hyper Linking Policy  | Copyright Policy  | Terms & Conditions  | Privacy Policy