: Himachal Pradesh came into being as a part
‘C’ State of the Indian Union on 15th April, 1948 as result of
merger of 30 Punjab and Shimla Hill State in the Indian Union viz. Baghat, Bhajji, Baghal, Beja, Balson, Koti,
Kumarsain, Kunihar, Kuthar, Mandi, Bushahr, Chamba, Darkoti, Delath, Dhadi,
Dhami, Ghund, Jubbal, Khaneti, Keonthl, Madhan, Mahlog, Mangal, Ratesh,
Rawringarh, Sangri, Sirmaur, Suket,Tharoach, Theog. At that
time the state had 4 districts viz. Chamba, Mahasu, Mandi, Sirmaur and
its area was 2,716,850 hectares. The
State was taken over under the Central
administration on the12th October, 1948.By an act of Parliament the 31st
state of Bilaspur which was till then a separate entity under the control of
Chief Commissioner, was integrated with Himachal Pradesh on 1st
July, 1954 thereby adding one more district with an area of 106,848 hectares.
it consisted of two tehsils namely, Ghumarwin and Bilaspur Sadar. In January, 1980 the state government created
a separate sub-tehsil called Naina Devi with headquarters at Swarghat out of
Bilaspur Sadar Tehsil. In 1984 one new
sub-tehsil namely, Jhandutta was created by carving out some areas of tehsil
Ghumarwin. Jhandutta sub-tehsil was given full tehsil status in January, 1998.
Administratively, the district is divided into two sub-divisions, 3 tehsils, 1
sub-tehsil, 3 community development blocks, 136 panchayats, 2 municipal
committees and 2 notified area committees.
had been a town in 1891 and 1901 Censuses but was declassified thereafter in
the year 1911. In 1931 Census, it was
again classified as town and has been continuing as such since then. Naina Devi a place of religious importance
was declared as town for the first time in 1953. A small town committee was setup to look
after the affairs of this place till 1960.
In the year 1961 it was notified as municipal committee. After 1981 Census, one more place Shah
Talai has been classified as notified area committee.